Reserve deputies are required to work a minimum of 2 8-hour patrol
shifts per month and attend monthly unit meetings and training.
Applicants must pass a written, oral and physical exam and background
check. Certain academy courses are required from the 66-hour PC
832 class to a full POST Basic Law Enforcement Academy, depending on
what the reserve deputy will be assigned to. You
should meet the following criteria:
- 21 years or older at time of academy graduation
- U.S. citizenship or legal resident who has applied
- High school diploma or GED certificate
- Valid California driver's license at time of
- Pass written examination and qualifications
- Good physical condition; weight/height in proper
- Complete medical examination required.
- Vision 20/100 or better, correctable to 20/30 or
better each eye.
- Hearing must be unimpaired.
- Good moral character. No felony conviction.
- Physically and emotionally able to perform LE
- Pass physical capability and psychological tests.
- Complete full basic academy before final
- Military personnel must be assigned to area for at
least 2 years.
For more information, contact the Sheriff's Personnel Office at (858)
974-2165 or e-mail